
Racism allegations emerge against Real Madrid fans as club vows to investigate racist chants towards Barcelona players.
Racism allegations were allegedly directed as the Spanish government, La Liga and Real Madrid reacted strongly on Sunday.
The Santiago Bernabéu game on Saturday allegedly featured racist taunts directed at Barcelona players. According to Spanish media, Lamine Yamal, a 17-year-old Barcelona forward of Moroccan and Equatorial Guinean ancestry, was the focus of racist and xenophobic taunts. Barcelona defeated Real Madrid 4-0, including goals by Lamine Yamal.
The Spanish Supreme Sports Council (CSD) will meet on Monday to consider the subject after issuing a statement denouncing racist events that occurred during the clásico.
The CSD, the Spanish police, the civil guard, the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), La Liga, and the state attorney general’s office are all part of the state commission against violence, racism, xenophobia, and intolerance in sports, which is responsible for investigating the matter.
“La Liga will immediately report the racist insults and gestures received by Barcelona players to the hate crimes section of the national police information brigade, as well as informing the coordinating prosecutor of the hate crimes and discrimination unit of the state attorney general’s office,” La Liga added in a statement.
“La Liga vehemently condemns the incidents at the Santiago Bernabéu and remains firm in its commitment to eradicate any kind of racist behaviour and hatred inside and outside stadiums.”
Real Madrid said they had opened an investigation to identify the perpetrators so that appropriate action can be taken. “Real Madrid strongly condemns any kind of behaviour involving racism, xenophobia or violence in football and sport. And deeply regrets the insults that a few fans uttered last night in one of the corners of the stadium,” the club said in a statement.
In Spain, four people were detained and interrogated Thursday on suspicion of running an internet hate campaign in the lead-up to Real Madrid’s match against Atletico Madrid last month that encouraged supporters to make racist remarks about Vinícius Júnior.
Speaking on Sunday, the Brazilian defended the Barcelona players who were allegedly subjected to the insults. “It’s regrettable what happened yesterday at the Bernabéu with racist insults,” Vinícius posted on X. “There is no place for these criminals in our society. All my support to Lamine, Ansu and Raphinha. I know that Madrid and the police will do things to identify and punish the guilty!!”
