
Cricket Malawi operations director’s death under police scanner after reports emerged about the mysterious circumstances at play.
Cricket Malawi operations director Arjun Menon has died aged 48.
According to reports, police are looking into how he died on Sunday in Blantyre, Malawi’s economic and financial centre.
Before accepting the Malawi position in 2020, Menon was a player for Singapore and a coach for a number of international teams, including Chile, Botswana, Indonesia, and Singapore.
“As Malawi, we are devastated by this loss because Arjun did so much to the our transformative agenda,” Vivek Ganesan, the president of Cricket Malawi, told Nation Online. “All the successes we have so far are attributed to him. This is a very painful loss.”
Dr. Henry Kamata, CEO of the Malawi National Council of Sports, also conveyed his condolences in a statement. “Arjun was a dedicated coach and a passionate advocate for the development of cricket in Malawi,” he said. “His contributions to the sport were immense and far-reaching, playing a pivotal role in the growth and success of the Malawi cricket team on regional and international platforms.
“His commitment, professionalism, and vision were truly inspirational, and his loss is a devastating blow to the sporting fraternity in Malawi and beyond.”
The Malawi men’s team finished second in Group A in the T20 World Cup Sub-Regional Africa Qualifier in September 2024, behind Tanzania, under Menon’s leadership. In contrast, the Under-19 women’s team advanced to Division 1 after winning Division 2 of the 2025 Under-19 Women’s T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier, where they finished in eighth position.
