
Mitch Hay replaces Tim Seifert in NZ squad for West Indies T20s with the latter ruled out after fracturing his finger.
Mitch Hay called up for T20Is vs West Indies after Seifert fractures finger.
After getting struck on the finger while batting for Northern Districts versus Wellington Firebirds in Monday’s Ford Trophy game, Seifert had to quit due to injury. An X-ray later showed that his right index finger was fractured.
Hay, a wicketkeeper-batter similar to Seifert, has played in 11 Twenty20 Internationals since making his debut against Sri Lanka in Dambulla in November of last year. He also owns the global record for the most dismissals (six) in an innings in the format.
“We’re all feeling for Tim,” Rob Walter, New Zealand’s head coach, said in a statement. “He’s a key member of this T20 unit given his power at the top of the order and his role as keeper, so he’ll be missed over the next five matches.
“He showed in the recent T20 series’ that he’s building up to top form, so it’s disappointing that that has been halted as we continue to prepare for a pinnacle event.
“We’re hoping Tim’s recovery will be quick and he’ll be back on the park as soon as possible.”
“Mitch has shown in his international opportunities so far that he’s a top-quality wicketkeeper batter and is more than capable of contributing at this level,” Walter said. “We’re lucky to be able call on another player of his ability which shows the level of depth we currently have in the T20 format.”
